If you live in Australia, chances are you’ve heard of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). For those who haven’t, the NDIS is a program that will help hundreds of thousands of Australians living with a disability, in addition to providing support to their families and carers. The NDIS can provide funding for services and treatments to those who are eligible. Find out if you’re eligible and how you can apply below!
Understanding The NDIS
What exactly is the NDIS in Queensland? Thanks to the National Disability Insurance Scheme Act of 2013, it will provide around 460,000 Australians under the age of 65 who have a significant or permanent disability with funding for a disability plan to give them support and disability services in Queensland they require.
Additionally, the NDIS can supply folks living with disabilities with information and connections to disability service providers from doctors, support groups, libraries, sporting clubs, and schools.
The NDIS funding supports a range of services which can include education, employment, social activities, and help with things such as independence, living arrangements, health and wellbeing.
For the NDIS to fund support or services there are some requirements it should fall under:
- It must be related to the participant’s disability
- It cannot cover everyday living costs that are not directly related to your disability support needs, such as groceries
- The service should be considered likely to be effective for the participant and take into account the support given to you by other sources such as government services, carers, family, community and networks.
Benefits Of NDIS
If you want to participate in the NDIS there are many benefits of joining. The NDIS takes into consideration support that is already available to you such as family and friends that help and community services, and other formal supports like education and health.
With additional support and services provided by the NDIS, these supports will help participants to:
- Develop their energy and ability to actively take part in the community
- Pursue their aspirations, goals, and objectives
- Increase their involvement with the community and in the workplace
- Increase their independence
The NDIS considers providers an important part of the program as they deliver products and services to support participants. Participants can choose who they want to work with and their NDIS plan will identify which outcomes they wish to achieve and the support best for making those happen.
How Does Exercise Physiology Apply To The NDIS?
Exercise Physiology & Dietetics is classified as an accredited service within the NDIS and Live Well Rehab is registered as an approved provider within the state of Queensland.
Who Is Eligible For NDIS?
Exercise physiology can provide assistance with the following disabilities. Be aware that all disabilities and conditions approved through the NDIS can receive Exercise Physiology and Dietetic services if appropriate.
- Autism and learning disorders
- Brain Injury
- Cognitive disabilities
- Cerebral palsy
- Down Syndrome
- Learning disabilities
- Intellectual disabilities
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Neurological: Parkinsons’ Disease, epilepsy, etc
- Vision and hearing impairments
Exercise Physiology & Dietetics can provide the following benefits via specific appropriate and evidence-based practice:
- Reduce the risk of, manage and mitigate chronic disease.
- Improve general, cardiac, respiratory, metabolic and psychological function.
- Improve movement patterns via strength, stability and mobility intervention
- Improve functional capacity.
- Improve the quality of life and activities of daily living.
- Increase independence.
How Do You Apply For NDIS Qld?
Exercise Physiology & Dietetic services can be provided via Category 12 of your NDIS package.
- Package 12 – Improved health and Wellbeing- Disability impacts on the ability to perform daily activities (ADL).
Depending on the management structure of your package you may also have the potential to consult with exercise physiology via other avenues.
If you would like more information on how to utilise an exercise physiologist or dietitian through your package please feel free to contact Live Well Rehab to discuss our services and how they are applicable for your situation.